The design of these high-performance bench planes are based on the famous Stanley Bedrock series (regarded as one of the very best designs of all time) with a fully machined frog and body seating pad. The Bedrock design ensures the blade is held with absolute rigidity thereby preventing chatter. The sole of the planes are heavy, stress-relieved ductile iron castings that are machined and lapped smooth to tight tolerances so little tuning needs to be done to get them working immediately.
Features you can expect to enjoy when buying a Luban plane are –
- 3.2mm-thick high-carbon tool steel blade
- 3.2mm cap-iron mated to the blade for improved rigidity and reduced chatter
- Precision cast and machined stainless steel cap
- Large solid brass blade adjustment hand wheel and screw
- Smooth bubinga front and rear knobs
- Heavy-duty steel lateral-adjustment lever
If you don’t want to or aren’t able to use a machine jointer – this will be the hand plane you’ll reach for. The longggg sole will bridge across undulations and plane the peaks of timber that needs straightening so you eventually end up with… straight timber! Its blade can be honed square for jointing (straightening) work on smaller work pieces or sharpened with a camber for smoothing and flattening stock.
The sole of this version measures 559 x 73mm with a 60mm wide blade.