Sherwood's ultimate bench grinder kit for those ready to take their sharpening seriously.
At request from our customers that sharpen their tools often, we have made the ultimate bench grinder kit. Featuring the Sherwood 8in Slow Speed Bench Grinder, the most popular bench grinder we make, 2 CBN grinder wheels (80 and 180 grit), HeliGrind Turning Tool Jig and a Universal Toolrest.
Why CBN wheels over Aluminum Oxide?
Carbon Boron Nitride (CBN) wheels are machined from solid steel and are bonded with Carbon Boron Nitride (CBN). CBN wheels have 4 times higher abrasive resistance, 55 times higher thermal conductivity and twice the hardness of aluminium oxide wheels.
These wheels can make almost any grinder perform at a much higher level. Just think about not having to prepare your grinding stone by dressing and shaping it each time, simply turn on your grinder and get to sharpening without any hassle.
One of the main advantages of CBN wheels is that you can sharpen without the requirement of coolant as the wheels don't overheat or burn the tools. These wheels provide excellent removal of steel whilst also delivering a sharp edge and smooth finish with very little effort and less heat damage to your tools.
Why throw in throw in the Heligrind and Universal Rests?
In swaping the Aluminium Oxide wheels to CBN wheels, the side cover on the left no longer fits due to the larger wheel, because of this the stock tool rests no longer fit. We weren't going to simply ignore this. So we included the Heligrind Turning Tool Jig and the Universal Toolrest that we make. These are a big upgrade to the OEM rests that come on the bench grinder.
What is a HeliGrind Turning Tool Sharpening Kit
The HeliGrind Sharpening System is the only jig on the market that will sharpen gouges on the helical path – the ideal way to sharpen all your woodturning gouges. This type of grind is known as either a fingernail or sidegrind and is recommended but virtually impossible to grind accurately freehand.
The HeliGrind is a versatile jig that is fixed in front of your bench grinder and has several attachments to simplify and make more accurate sharpening grinds of a range of different tools.
- Woodturning bowl and spindle gouges – the gouge is clamped into an inner cylinder that can be easily rotated via a fully-sealed guide bearing seated against the outer solid, cast bronze holder. This patented system was designed to follow the correct path for producing the best type of grind on your gouges.
- Works on all gouges 6 - 16mm wide
- Sharpens on the helical path every time
- Self-jigging design for faster set-up
- The nose of the gouge is pushed up the wheel along the helical path to produce the optimum shape without having to constantly reset the jig as you grind the wheel down.
- It produces hollow ground edges, which provides a superb two-point bearing that makes the grinding self-jigging. It means that every time you re-grind, you remove a tiny and constant thickness of steel, extending the life of both your tools and grinding wheels. It also means that the geometry of the tip won’t change, allowing your tools to display the same properties every time you use them.
- Including a skew chisel grinding jig, the HeliGrind System also allows you to sharpen skew chisels by attaching the preset holder to grind at the popular 20º angle.
- There is also a conventional toolrest in the kit, which can be quickly attached to provide a flat plate in front of the wheel – perfect for scrapers and other chisels.
1x Sherwood 8in Slow Speed Bench Grinder
1x Sherwood CBN Grinder Wheel - 200x40mm - 80Grit
1x Sherwood CBN Grinder Wheel - 200x40mm - 180Grit
1x Baladonia Bench Grinder Universal Toolrest Kit
1x Torquata HeliGrind Turning Tool Sharpening Kit
Caution: CBN Grinding Wheels are designed to be used to sharpen hardened Steel or Carbide. Sharpening non-heat treated steel, aluminum or other soft metals will damage the CBN Grinding Wheel.