Buy the Thicknesser in the month of March and get a set of six replacement knives PLUS a bottle of CMT Bit & Blade Cleaner to keep your cutterhead nice and clean (combined RRP $75.00) included for FREE.
Move up to a new level of portable planing with this Deluxe 13in Thicknesser.
The fundamental upgrade to this unit is the segmented spiral cutterhead. Unlike other segmented spiral head units on the market in the sub-$1,000 category, the Sherwood unit is the first to be fitted with solid tungsten knives as standard! No wonder our customers love it!
Like the difference between a high-speed steel and tungsten carbide tipped router bits, the knives found in this unit offer improved cutting performance improvement and most importantly, much longer cutting times before becoming blunt - reducing the running costs of this unit significantly over the lifetime of the machine. The segmented spiral head uses a 27mm-wide (not the standard 14-15mm width knives found in other units) meaning that each tip is passing over more of the material, leaving a smoother finish and not working as hard - also creating improved cuts and extended working times before becoming blunt.
The knives are arranged in a straight pattern not a helical spiral head found in larger machines, and are designed to shear cut the work piece rather than planing the full width at the same time. It requires less horsepower, makes smaller chips and less noise than standard full-width blade types of standard cutterheads. Unlike conventional straight blade planers you do not need to replace the knife if it becomes damaged or dull. Instead, if one knife edge is damaged or has become blunt simply turn it to another edge in seconds. You will only need to replace the inserts when the two edges are dull giving you more life than the standard knives.
Your initial investment is paid back in no time. Plus, even though it has the same motor as the Standard Thicknesser, it performs better with less load being placed on the motor, therefore prolonging motor life as well as providing a better quality cut and the ability to plane figured and difficult grains with relative ease.
Other three extra features that set this thicknesser apart from the rest of the pack -
- A solid granite base instead of a stainless sheet over an alloy base. This improves the weight in the base of the machine, absorbing vibration and making it more stable in use as well as maintaining consistent flatness for the lifetime of the machine regardless of external influences (such as damage, scratching etc.).
- A built-in depth-of-cut stop - set the depth of cut to the common 3.2mm, 6.4mm, 12.7mm, 19.0mm, 25.4mm and 31.8mm thicknesses so that when making the final pass on a number of work pieces they maintain a consistent thickness.
- Bigger infeed and outfeed tables to support the work piece more effectively.
- Cutterhead parallelism maintained by four precision ground steel posts
- In-built dust chute and dust port with unique three sizes built into one outlet
- Easy-to-acces and change brushes
- Built-in depth-of-cut gauge to ensure you're taking off the correct amount in each pass
|# of Belts
|# of Blades
||26 knives - 27mm wide
|Max Planing Capacity
||330 x 152mm
|Min Stock Thickness
|Planer Bed Size
||330 x 240mm
|Extension Table Size
||332 x 230mm
|Planer Feed Speed
|Dust Port Diameter
||2in, 2 ½in, 4in
||540 x 710 x 485mm