Vice Hardware for Moxon Vice: Benchcrafted's hardware just got some moxie about it
Modern woodworkers have discovered the usefulness of a vice that brings work up to a more convenient height, particularly when working the ends of boards, as in dovetailing, so Benchcrafted developed a tailor-made Moxon vice using the same principles that guide the development of their other vices: smooth, effortless action.
Why a Moxon hardware kit?
The Benchcrafted Moxon Vice mounts to any workbench, raising your workpiece to a comfortable, ergonomic position and holding it rock solid. If you cut dovetails or other joints by hand, a Moxon vice will completely change your experience with these tasks. No longer do you need to strain your back when cutting dovetails at the lower height of your main bench. Fast and effortless, the Moxon vice makes joinery a pleasure.
Please Note: This hardware kit does not include any timber or mounting hardware. You will need to supply your own timber and have a suitable way to mount the vice to your workbench.
- Precision-rolled acme screws for effortless action
- Tapped, cast-iron hand wheels for rapid adjustment
- Fixed screws to vice for a strong hold that eliminates screw-movement
- Mounts with holdfasts, dogs or clamps
- Rear stabiliser prevents vibrating and provides a a suitable clamping area
- Lower-hanging moveable front jaw, providing a stop for accurate positioning
- Flush rear jaw aligns with front of bench for extreme ease of mounting and operation
- Moveable jaw lined with crubber for tenacious holding
The jaws will open to a maximum of about 57mm (2 1/4in) and you can build the vice to any width you choose. Many customers build two Moxon vices, using two sets of hardware. One with a smaller capacity, around 16" which is used for smaller chests and drawer sides and one with 610mm (24in) capacity between screws for full-size chests and cabinet work. The smaller vice is lighter and easier to mount and store for these more frequent projects. Elongated holes in the movable chop allow the vice to hold tapered pieces with ease.
The Moxon hardware can be used to build a "bench on bench" Moxon vice. A work surface is added to the rear jaw to act as a separate bench top. It's the ideal bench accessory for cutting and marking out dovetails with its large work surface.
Another option is to permanently build a full-size Moxon into a dedicated joinery bench, which is taller than your main workbench. This eliminates the need to mount or store the vice.